Thursday 17 April 2014

5 Years Time…

                                   
Last September I thought I had the next five years planned; go to university, study and make friends for life, get an internship during my sandwich year, when I successfully left  university I would apply for graduate jobs and be where I wanted to be. Unfortunately it did not work out that way, now my future is uncertain - but I will never regret leaving university when I did. I could have stayed there for the four years, struggled with understanding the how the course would help me practically, not enjoyed my time there because of issues and ended up having almost £40,000 worth of debt with an average degree.
Instead I made the decision to leave Worcester and come home to London where I could work hard and put the dedication in with a company to gain valuable on the job training and understand how the industry works rather than just reading how it should work from a book. Leaving university was one of the hardest decisions I have made. If I left I would be considered a “drop out” and it would appear to a lot of people that I wasn’t succeeding enough at university so left. But staying somewhere when I wasn’t happy – not enjoying the course, not enjoying social activities on offer and was four hours from home. I felt I would have lost any confidence I had in myself or my work. The lack of confidence would have then have been a real hindrance to me from succeeding not only at university, but after university.
I have been very lucky and had a supportive family who understood staying at university would have been horrible, instead they have encouraged my job search and try to help in every way possible.
So…now in five years I hope to have a good job in an industry I enjoy, have supportive friends, family and co-workers. But mostly to have proven to everybody that university isn’t the be all and end all that success is about hard work and commitment.  With support and help of people that believe in you success is achievable. The reason I left university is not because I am not smart enough but there are different ways of reaching your goals. I am intelligent,  I can and will work hard to get somewhere.
I am not going to let my experience of university define who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment